Covering the Damage to your Roof
Roof damage can be caused by heavy rains, winds, or falling debris. To quickly solve this issue and reduce the possibility of additional damage, many people choose to use a roof tarp. Roof tarps allow you to have a quick solution and a gap of time until better weather conditions allow for safe inspection and repair.
It seems like a good (sometimes cheap) idea to quickly cover the holes in the roof, stop a water leak, and sleep comfortably at night knowing that no rodents or other animals will enter your home or business through those holes.
Why Roof Repair is Important
Although a roof tarp has many benefits, we do not recommend it as a permanent solution to your problem, because:
- Some brands will wear out over time.
- It is a quick fix for a leaking roof, but it is only temporary. It can cause more trouble as time passes.
- If the roof has water damage that leaked into your home, mold could be growing in the affected areas.
- Wind can move the tarp, leaving spaces uncovered where water can start leaking again.
- The wind will cause it to flap, creating annoying noises in your home or business.
- The tarp may increase the heat inside your home or business, which could lead to a higher electrical bill.
- If not installed properly, it could hold small pools of standing water, perfect for mosquito proliferation.
- Heat and moisture may become trapped under the tarp, causing mold and other damage to shingles
You, as a homeowner, have the right to protect your property and mitigate. As long as you have proper coverage from your insurance company, you can avoid further water damage, mold issues and higher bills.
Don’t wait for more damage to occur in your home or business. Call our 24/7 Emergency Line at 1-800-743-2064 for your FREE ASSESSMENT and no obligation quote.
Call Us Now!
Source: bogleheads.org, Lowes.com