Water Damage Restoration
To Find a United Water Restoration Group Office Near You Click Here
Water, Fire, Mold Damage?
Get Immediate Help
1-800-430-5838
 

The type and severity of health effects from mold exposure will differ among various locations, person to person and over time. Long-term exposure to indoor molds is certainly unhealthy to anyone, but some groups develop more severe symptoms sooner than others; like infants and children, the elderly, individuals with respiratory conditions, allergies and/or asthma, and immunocompromised patients. Exposure to indoor mold is mostly associated with the following allergy symptoms:

  • Nasal and sinus congestion
  • Cough or sore throat
  • Chest tightness
  • Difficulty in breathing
  • Asthma
  • Erratic nosebleeds
  • Upper respiratory tract infections
  • Headache
  • Skin and eye irritation

Some indoor molds can produce extremely potent toxins (mycotoxins) that are lipid-soluble and readily absorbed by the intestinal lining, airways, and skin. These agents are usually in the fungal spores and have effects that range from irregular skin irritation to immunosuppression and cancer. More severe symptoms that could result from continuous exposure to indoor mycotoxigenic molds include:

  • Cancer
  • Hypersensitivity pneumonitis/pulmonary fibrosis
  • Pulmonary injury/hemosiderosis (bleeding)
  • Neurotoxicity
  • Hematologic and immunologic disorders
  • Hepatic, endocrine and/or renal toxicities
  • Pregnancy, gastrointestinal and/or cardiac conditions